Monday, May 20, 2013

Lhy Thai

It's been a while since I have updated my blog. Well, that is because I have been away for 3 weeks on an Asia trip!! It was super amazing. My girl friend and I had a ton of fun. And of course, knowing me, I definitely tried a lot of traditional and cultural food that you do not normally find in Vancouver. I will be blogging about that once I finish sorting through the million of photos I have taken.

But anyways, I am finally home in Raincouver. Definitely not missing the rain, but I do miss the lovely, breezy Vancouver weather. I took it easy with the food I ate the first week I was back. Now, I am ready for more food adventures! My friend, Flash, was mentioning to me that we can eat emu at this restaurant in Richmond. Despite it being such a cute animal, I was totally down for trying new meat. Unfortunately, the restaurant we were originally going to did not serve emu. Being slightly disappointed, we decided to go grab some Thai food in Burnaby at Lhy Thai.

When you enter Lhy Thai, it is a small, cozy restaurant that appeared to be family owned. Very laid back and casual dining. On a Thursday night, it was not busy at all and our server was highly attentive. After reviewing the menu, we have decided on a couple of simple dishes:

Phat Thai Gai: rice noodles fried with chicken, tofu, green onion, tomato sauce, bean sprouts, egg, and sprinkled with peanuts ($10.95)
This pad thai was very tasty. You can choose between chicken or prawn. We chose the chicken. The portion is smaller than most restaurant, but it was full of flavours and definitely had a good balance of sweet and spice to it. However, it is a bit oily and can be heavy if you were to finish the platter to yourself. I will recommend sharing.

Green Curry with Beef: bamboo shoots, green and red pepper, sweet basil ($10.95)
This curry disappointed me. It was very liquid and watery. We ordered the green curry in mild, so I hope they did not just dilute it with water to achieve the mild flavour. We didn't want it too spicy, but we still wanted the thick curry flavour. The sliced beef was average and slightly dry. Side note: this dish does not come with rice. We ordered a bowl of steamed rice for $1.50.

Lhy Thai is located near the South Burnaby-Kingsway-Edmonds area. It is on Edmonds Street and Linden Avenue cross street to be exact. There is free street parking at the front of the restaurant on Edmonds Street. The restaurant is quite small, so I will make reservation if you plan to attend with a larger party. Please note: they are closed on Sundays. Their hours of operations is as follows: Lunch from Monday to Friday (11:30am to 2:30pm); Dinner from Monday to Saturday (5:00pm to 10:00pm).

Food: Only average. They serve great pad thai, but definitely need to work on their curry.
Service: Excellent. Warm and friendly staff from a family owned restaurant.
Price: We paid a total of $25 with tax for two people.
Recommended? I do have preference for other Thai restaurants, but they are located in Vancouver.

- Hippo


Lhy Thai
7357 Edmonds Street
Burnaby, B.C.
Phone: 604-526-8085

Lhy Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment