Thursday, March 21, 2013

Waffle and Berries

Waffle and Berries
So a couple weeks ago, I was excited and ready to try this Waffle & Berries place I have heard so  much about. They close at 5pm on a weekend, so we decided to have a light morning snack, then head towards Downtown for some waffles at around 2pm. When we got there, we found out they ran out of waffles! I was really disappointed... So this weekend, we called them too many times throughout the morning to inquire about their waffle status. They reassured us they do have waffles, so we quickly sped there and was ready to devour some Belgian waffles.

Behind the counters.
Interior of Waffle & Berries.
When we got to Waffles & Berries, there were a couple of tables available. It appeared to be slowing down, so we just headed up to the counter and started to order. By the time we finished ordering, the tables were actually all filled up. My tip: grab a table, then head over to the counter to order. They are a coffee shop, so they do not take reservations. Similar to Starbucks, you order your coffee, then you seat yourself.

I was having a bit of difficulty deciding the toppings for my waffle. The servers all recommended the Belgian dark chocolate, strawberries, and whipped cream. The toppings are all additional charges. I am not a whipped cream fan, so I opt for the vanilla ice cream instead. But they sold out of ice cream that day, so I chose another berry for my waffle.

 
Liege Waffle: topped with Belgian dark chocolate, strawberries, and blueberries ($8.45)
In terms of appearance, the ones with whipped cream is definitely more appealing. But this combination was better than it appeared. The waffle is freshly made. It had a nice chew to it with a crunchy exterior and moist interior. If the waffle is eaten alone, it is actually quite sweet. So I definitely recommend the dark chocolate to complement the sweetness. The fruits were fresh, but it was not in season, so not as ripe and sweet as it can be. Not their fault though. In hindsight, I should have gotten the whipped cream for some additional moisture to this snack.

 
Liege Waffle: topped with nutella, blueberries, and blackberries ($8.45)
This combination is slightly more dry. I definitely prefer the drizzling Belgian dark chocolate over the nutella spread. Again, whipped cream or ice cream is recommended. But overall, these waffle and berries combination were quite tasty. The portion is actually quite large as compared to many other coffee shops. Definitely not a snack and can be a satisfying breakfast.

Belgium Milk Hot Chocolate ($3.95) - left
Belgium Dark Hot Chocolate ($3.95) - right
Both highly recommended by Hippo! Made with real chocolate pieces. You can actually see the chocolate solidifying in my last few sips. I really enjoyed my Dark Hot Chocolate with only a hint of sweetness, yet not bitter. It is actually quite thick and filling. Very comparable to the Blenz Belgium Dark Hot Chocolate. When I tried Meko's Milk Hot Chocolate, it has the same consistency, but definitely sweeter. From the flavour, it appears they have used Belgium Dark Chocolate pieces and also condensed milk as the sweetener. Very delicious with great aroma.

My friend also visited Waffle & Berries with his girlfriend. Above is his photo of waffles with mixed berries, dark chocolate, and whipped cream! Photo credits to Flash.

A few outdoor seating for the warmer summer days!

Location: On West Pender Street, off Nicola Street. It is the Coal Harbour area, so the majority of the parking is paid street meter. Price is not as bad as I thought it would be, it is $2 per hour. On a nice sunny day, a walk down to the nearby seawall is perfect with a cup of coffee.

Food: Freshly made and tasty. Generous portions. Great sweet treat and options for those who prefer their food and drinks to be less sweet.
Service: The drinks are served in the front counter. However, they do bring the waffles to your table and collect your plates afterwards.
Price: We had a Groupon that cost us only $15 with tax for the above two waffles and drinks.
Recommended? Great coffee shop to relax or catch up with a friend.

- Hippo


Waffle & Berries
1467 West Pender Street
Vancouver, B.C.
Phone: 604-710-5279

Waffle & Berries on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. It was beginning of April me and my boyfriend decided to go to waffle and berries, one of my best friends recommended that place to me, I had the banana nutella and my boyfriend tried the raspberry with dark chocolate, they made it right there fresh, I tried waffle some other place, they basically just re heat the pre-cooked waffle,.all I can say is that it was amazing I really recommend this place for brunch or breakfast, it was very filling, :p

    ReplyDelete