Sunday, February 10, 2013

Let's Roll Custom Sushi

Ever since Let's Roll Custom Sushi Bar opened at English Bay, my friend has been telling me how amazing it is. So I looked it up, the concept was new and interesting. You essentially make your own sushi with ingredients of your choice. My initial perception of this was: overrated. But after having it for lunch, it actually wasn't bad for the price. Good value and was very filling.

This is like the "Subway" of sushi rolls. You first choose the wrap (traditional seaweed or soy paper). There are three options of rice (white, green, or mixed grain). The green is spinach, which the chef told me goes really well with soy paper wrap. The mixed grain is a purple mix and is the healthiest option. When the sushi chef begin the sushi creation, you can choose 2 vegetables and 2 fresh meats. I was actually overwhelm with the variety of selection. I was thinking about the special sushi rolls I would order from other restaurants and try to replicate that. Not only do you stuff up the roll, you can also choose 2 toppings. That is a lot of ingredients! Lastly, they will finish off the roll with sauces of your choice!

Hippo's Custom Sushi: I chose traditional seaweed with white rice. I stuffed it with avocado, cucumber, spicy tuna, and unagi. The unagi was actually grilled on the spot! When he rolled it up, he placed the roll in a 10 piece sushi cutter to yield exact size of each piece. I actually would prefer him to hand cut it. But I guess it doesn't matter. When he placed it on the dish, I then topped it with crab meat and tempura crunch. Lastly, it is drizzled in spicy mayo (my favourite!).

Meko's Custom Sushi: He chose traditional seaweed with white rice. I dared him to choose mixed grain, as he hated any sort of grainy texture, but he refused. He stuffed it with avocado, asparagus, smoked salmon, and chopped scallops. Topped with crab meat and yam chips. Finally, drenched in delicious Japanese mayo (actually very yummy). This Japanese mayo is recommended by Hippo!

Custom Juice ($3.95): Choice of 3 fruits or additions or signature milk. We opt for 3 fresh fruits: honeydew, mango, and orange. A very tasty combination!

Overall, the roll was much better than expected. Although the tasty sauce had a lot to do with it. The raw fish do not appear very fresh, so I will probably opt out of those stuffing. The imitation crab meat was actually quite good and they were very generous on the topping despite giving us so much stuffing already. Definitely worth the $7.95.


Location: Near the intersection of Denman Street and Davie Street. Very close to English Bay, so you can grab some sushi and enjoy it along the beach on a sunny day. In terms of parking, it will be paid meter parking in the 3 block premises. If you wander off,  you may be able to find free parking.

Food: A huge selection to suite your taste buds. However, can be overwhelming.
Service: Sushi chef was very helpful and patient when I was unsure which ingredient to choose.
Price: The total came to $22 with tax for two people. Very reasonable.
Recommended? 3.5/5

- Hippo


Let's Roll Custom Sushi Bar
#104-1184 Denman Street
Vancouver, B.C.
Phone: 604-569-0058

Let's Roll Sushi Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment